I know I have been very quiet on this blog for most of the year. I fell into a rigorous daily routine of getting up early, working, squeezing one or two extra things into the day, sleeping, and repeat.
I have not gotten around to doing my monthly challenges as I would have liked, so this space has been extremely boring, my apologies. I do want to try and push myself a bit to take on the monthly challenges again, so I won’t be abandoning this blog just yet. I really like the one month challenges and they do help a lot. For right now, however, I’m probably not committing to anything just yet, will see.
The good news is that I have not been totally stagnating in this time and there has been some changes happening this year, among them are the following:
- I have been working on a novel for the most of last year as well as this year. This has been going fairly good in spite of the time constraints. I squeeze off a couple of minutes sometimes early morning before work to get to writing. I also spent a lot of time writing on the train (while I was still taking Metrorail). I have reached 80,000 words this morning (yay!), my goal is to conclude the story around 100,000 words, so that means that I am about 80% done with my first draft. This is quite a cool journey and I am going to finish it.
- I started another blog, writing on the topic of Fantasy and SciFi: Fantastical Muse
I know I know, ANOTHER blog. I am just blaming my A.D.D and my zest to experience life and all it can offer me. But hey, now I write about cool things like space cowboys and super heroes, who doesn’t enjoy that?
- I read some books. This is mostly for academical purpose more so than for fun. I haven’t really been a big reader for most of my life, and seeing as I am now writing an epic fantasy novel, I realized that I had to skill up on the genre, so I have been reading fantasy novels, and am enjoying it.
- I am listening to audio books while commuting. This adds to the previous point, I have listened to the full “Lord of the rings”, completed one of the “Chronicles of Narnia” books, and I am now working my way through “Dune”. I have to drive about 80km per day, so I decided to put that time to good use and study the fantasy/scifi classics via audio while driving – it has been pretty good.
- I “built” a standing desk… ok it’s actually just an empty beer box on top of my desk at work. I am putting my laptop on the box and now I can stand while working. I am trying to stand at least for some of the hours in the day. My hope is that this will help my back a bit, I try to pull in my tummy and strengthen my core through this as well. Not the most comfortable way to work, but I think in the long run it will be better than sitting at a computer for a living. Got to change it up with sitting and standing.
On the downside I have not really been exercising this year, and therefore I can’t say that my health is getting better. Mental note, I have to sort that out.
There we go, that’s an update from my side. Maybe don’t hold your breath for updates on this blog, I will be shifting more focus to my new blog, so if you are at all interested in my babbling thoughts about stuff, head over to fantasticalmuse.wordpress.com