What I plan to do:
After some thought and consideration, I chose exercise as my next monthly challenge. I don’t plan on keeping on the rhetoric of 4 years ago… but 4 years ago I was very fit and healthy. I ran 10km (6.2 miles) every day, I used a bicycle as my main way of commuting and I went on the occasional walk in the mountains. Then I became a bit less fit and stopped exercising mostly, got a motorbike for commuting and downgraded to running about once every two to four weeks. And later it became even worse. So I believe it is time to start making some changes here.
Why I plan to do it:
My final reason for choosing exercise for this month is because I thought it will complement my June challenge of loosing weight. Step one, start eating better, step two, start getting more exercise. It almost feels like the natural way of things. And I have this idea that once you get those two, you are well on your way to have a better lifestyle already. So here we go!
How I plan to implement it:
- Walk to work and back. If I mention here that I live literally 1km from my office, you might also think it is shocking that I drive to work and back (on my motorcycle). I have some pathetic excuses though… but now is not the time for them. This month I’m going to try and walk to work and back every day.
- The weekend workout. This is just an idea to spice up the challenge a bit. This month, I have to do an activity every weekend which involves getting a workout. Something like hiking or swimming or what ever.
- Push-ups. This is something that actually already started last month, but it will go in to full effect this month. I started doing exercises for my one busted knee, but kept forgetting to do it. So I then attached it to something I don’t forget – making coffee. So when I make coffee I first do the exercise for my knee. This migrated to doing push-ups as well. And soon my friend at work got involved and started doing push-ups before drinking coffee as well. And he coined the phrase “burn it to earn it”. So this month, before eating or drinking anything, I have to do 10 push-ups. In addition to that I have to do 10 in the morning when I get up and 10 before I go to bed at night.
- Daily gym. In addition to doing push-ups, I am going to implement a light exercise gym routine daily. Probably after work sometime. Not sure what exactly I will be doing here, will see how it goes 🙂
- Running, once a week, maybe twice. Because of my busted knee mentioned earlier, I can not run too much at this stage in my life. But I need to run both for exercise and for getting my leg muscles strong again so they can support my knee. So I am going to run once a week, and, if my knee feels ok, twice a week.
- Standing and sitting up straight. Yes, to the uninformed this might not sound like exercise, but trust me, if you were slouching since primary school, standing and sitting up straight is hell on your abdominal and back muscles. This will be both exercise to me and will help me with my posture.
OK! The 6 point plan is in place. Now for some coffee… but first I’ve got to “burn it to earn it!”